Mosaics

So not quite a sewing project but still good fun

I created my design of a sailing boat, as it going to up it up in the bathroom on the Longbow. I created a wavey sea to give the design movement. I used a variety of shades of blue and purple to create shading on the sea.

image

I used a variety of blue and white china to create the hull of the boat – this offered variety to the mosaic tiles and makes the boat stand out. I also did the same for the sails but out of grey and white, I also did a black outline in order to make it clear. And finally the sky using a variety of pale colours and the flag at the top of the mast in red to provide contrast. The tiles and china was stuck down using standard tile adhesive, once this has dried you can go onto the next step.

image

The next step is to grout the piece, this is an image of my mum’s design as I had my hands covered in grout while I was doing mine, but the process is the same. The aim is to get the grout into all the little gaps between the tiles, once you have achieved this you can polish off the excess – to revel your design.

Here is an experiment into other ways of creating a mosaic.

Advertisements

Stitched Camper van

Stitched Campervan

Inspired by a cushion cover from Shaws, I created this appliqué camper van canvas.


Sewing Box

I got very inspired watching the Great British Sewing Bee Christmas special and immediately wanting to start sewing – I was particularly taken by the sewing bow. I found some old fabric and cardboard at home and started to make. I was able to tailor my sewing box to my sewing equipment and what I use most. I also made a needle case and a pin cushion to go with it. This will prove a great companion and was very fun to make.

Blog_Pictures_Dec_13_2 (2)   Blog_Pictures_Dec_13_1 (2)


Making a Hatch Cover for Longbow II

The next thing that needed making for the Longbow interior was something to cover the inside of the hatches to act as a curtain and stop light getting though. I started off by picking my fabric and chose to have a blackout fabric in the middle as this one is for the fore cabin. Once done I measured up the space and drew a rough template of the area.

Blog_Pictures_Dec_13_6 (1)  Blog_Pictures_Dec_13_5 (1)

I then cut out and pinned the fabric right sides together with the blackout fabric on top. I stitched round the outside leaving a gap to be able to turn the fabric through.

Blog_Pictures_Dec_13_4 (2)   Blog_Pictures_Dec_13_3 (2)

Once turned through I stitched it up by hand to complete that shape. The next aspect I had to think about was how to hang this from the ceiling. I decided that curtain rails – in the form or wires, would run down either side of the curtain. I therefore had to turn the edge over and top stitch a tunnel into opposite sides of the cover. This complete I an just waiting for the rails to be put up in order to use my new hatch cover.


Longbow’s Cushion Covers

One of my main jobs during the Longbow refit was to reupholster all of the 7 bunk cushions for the boat. The old ones were made out of a fake leather fabric that had been badly damaged by damp.

Longbow

The fist job was to pick a new fabric and order it. After going though book after book I narrowed it down to just a few and finally picked my favourite. I went for a biscuit/ beige colour which sounds boring but it needed to be fairly light as very little natural light gets in the boat. I chose a two tone textured surface to combat the issue of dirt and spillages.

The next task was to unpick all of the old covers I order to get a template for the new ones. This proved to be a time consuming process but was worth it in the end.

I then started cutting out the new fabric, I first layer the old one on top and pinned it down.

Longbow

The next challenge was to sew a zip in, I had found these great zips that come on a reel  – you can cut them to whatever length and just slide a zipper on. I created a flap either side of the zip to hide it from view and make it look professional.

Once this was done the indiviual pieces then had to be pinned together before sewn on the machine. I used an extra strong sewing thread to make the cushions long lasting. I sewed all the way around leaving no gap but making sure you leave the zip open a jar to it was be turned round.

Longbow

After the final trip of loose threads and any excess fabric the cushions where ready to be stuffed.

Longbow  Longbow

The next job was to move them onto the boat – the fore cabin ones were the first to be put in there new home.